Check in to your 4-star cottage on the beautiful High Season farm in the heart of the Hemel & Aarde Valley, within walking distance of many of the valleys award winning wine estates. Check in from 13:00
Transfer to the top of Rotary Way for a 2 km downhill walk though aromatic mountain fynbos to sample the fruit of Hamilton Russell‘s Estate vineyard. Hamilton Russell is one of the most southerly wine Estates in Africa and pioneered viticulture & wine making in the Hemel & Aarde Valley. Beside the dam we enjoy a picnic under the trees while sampling the valleys best. Our next visit is to Bouchard Finlayson, the most awarded wine estate in the valley (Distance 5 km)
From the wine estate the group will be transferred back to the farm for a relaxing evening and dinner under the stars.
Enjoy a hearty farm breakfast before stretching your legs on one of the most scenic walking routes in the valley. Walk along the Kleinrivier Mountainside to the magnificent La Vierge tasting experience. Continuing on we stroll past the De Bos Dam, through horse farms, orchards and vineyards to Sumaridge Wine Estate for a wine tasting while enjoying their sumptuous lunch platters. Transfer to our next overnight stop. The Hemel en Aarde Cottages nestle alongside the Babylonstoren Mountain range (Distance 8km)
Creation Wines on the ridge of the Heaven & Earth Valley is our first sensory experience of the day. Famous for sustainable farming initiatives and innovative food & wine pairings, this modern tasting venue is set in a fynbos garden surrounded by Nanette Ranger’s sculptures.
Our walk starts at the Olive Farm on the slopes of the Kleinrivier mountainside where the trail takes us through the fynbos slopes of the Kleinrivier Mountains to Spookfontein’s tasting room. A short transfer down the road and we settle in at Moggs Country Cookhouse for a late lunch. (Distance 6 km)
A day with very little walking.
A visit to the Hermanpietersfontein Food & Wine Market with its cheerful atmosphere and tempting gourmet food is a highlight. We enjoy breakfast here and take some time to taste the vineyards varietals; browse a selection of cheese & charcuterie to make up a personalized tasting plate. Perlemoen, oysters and home baked goods are available as well as an excellent olive tasting table. A visit to Hermanus is not complete without exploring the Wine Village and we take some time out to do a very proper gin tasting. A short forest walk takes us to the tasting room of the legendary Wijn Meester Bartho Eksteen for old-fashioned hospitality and authentic Cape farm fare.
The final day of the Wine Walk starts along a section of the famous Hermanus Cliff Path with beautiful coastal sea views. We take an easy walk to Dutchies restaurant alongside Grotto Beach for a champagne breakfast “with a sea view”. The white sandy shores mark the end of the Overberg Wine Walk. (Distance 3 km)
Quote includes the following:
- 4 nights 4 -star Cottage & Farm stay accommodation
- Transfers to start of walks & return to farm at end of walks as per itinerary
- 3 Breakfasts including final day
- Picnic at Hamilton Russell Estate (arrival time-allowing)
- Daily tea , coffee and bottled water for hikes
- Braai on 1st night, Estate platters day 2, Moggs restaurant lunch day 3
- Light suppers 3 nights
- Champagne breakfast at Dutchies beach restaurant on final day
- Cellar tastings at Hamilton Russell Estate, La Vierge, Bosman Family Vineyards, Sumaridge, Hermanpietersfontein, and Spookfontein & Bartho Eksteen.
- Wine & food pairing at Creation.
- Lunch pairing at Bartho Eksteen
- Gin tasting experience
- Professionally Guided (FGASA Field Guides, Cape Tour & Wine Guide)
- First Aid & back-up assistance
- Wine purchases
- Breakfast at the Hermanpietersfontein market
- Drinks at restaurants other than listed
Unscheduled taxi transfers