Overberg 3 Night Ramble
Check in to your 4-star cottage on a beautiful horse farm in the Hemel & Aarde Valley, a 40 hectare working farm. Well positioned for exploring the Overberg and enjoying all the activities Hermanus has to offer.
Checking time: 14:00
Arrival in the valley and settle into the accommodation complete with TV and WiFi.
Enjoy a relaxed evening with a traditional braai experience, paired with some award winning local wines and star gazing if weather permits.
After breakfast we head off to Hermanus for the legendary cliff path walk, famous for the best shore-based whale viewing and breathtaking coastal scenery. Along the well constructed paths there are educational boards displaying the vast biodiversity of the area. Exploring the old harbour towns interesting sights we visit the Harbour, War Memorial, Whale museum and African market. We continue along the coastal path to the Blue flag Grotto Beach. Lunch at Dutchies and then spend some time enjoying the beach and the magical milkwood forest.
(Leisurely 10- 12km)
Spend the better part of the day in Fernkloof Nature Reserve, a gem in the Cape Floral Kingdom. We climb to Galpin Peak and Sculpture Corner with stunning views of Hermanus and the Wine Valley enjoying a lunch picnic with these amazing views. Exceptional floral biodiversity and magnificent scenery make for an unforgettable experience. The gardens at Fernkloof are well worth visiting with good bird & tortoise sightings.
Take a drive past Kleinmond to the Stoney Point Penguin Colony, one of only 2 land-based breeding colonies in South Africa. Great photo opportunities with wonderful bird-life and rugged coastal scenery with penguins nesting beside the wooden walkways. From there we visit the spectacularly bio diverse Harold Porter Botanical Gardens. For the energetic a walk through Leopards Gorge to view the waterfall is breathtaking. Excellent bird-life and floral displays with regular sightings of baboons and smaller creatures makes this visit a highlight.
- We are flexible and can tailor the distances of most of the walks to suit your fitness level.
- At present the accommodation is on one farm. The advantage of course is that one only needs to unpack once.
- Accommodation is also available in Hermanus town should a longer stay interest you.
- Transfer too & from the airport can be arranged, as well as any other unlisted excursions.
Quote includes the following:
- 3 nights 4 -star Farm stay accommodation
- Conservation and reserve entrance fees
- Traditional braai with wine on DAY 1
- 3 Breakfasts, picnics, snacks & lunches as listed
- Bottled Water for hikes
- Tea & coffee & snacks on route except on DAY 2
- Packed lunches on DAY 3 & 4
- Professionally Guided (FGASA Field & Marine Guides, Cape Tourism & Wine Guide)
- First Aid & back-up assistance
- Day 2 meals and refreshments
- Dinners other than braai
- Unscheduled taxi transfers