Overberg 4 Night Ramble
On the Overberg 4 night ramble, check in to your 4-star cottage in the Hemel & Aarde Valley. The allocation of venue is based on accommodation availability and group numbers, one of the venues is a 40 hectare working farm. All the venues on our list are well positioned for exploring the Overberg and enjoying all the activities Hermanus has to offer.
Checking time: 14:00
Arrival in the valley and settle into the accommodation complete with TV, WiFi & swimming pool.
Enjoy a relaxed evening with a traditional braai experience, paired with some award winning local wines and star gazing if weather permits.
Overberg 4 night ramble
After breakfast on the Overberg 4 night ramble we head off to Hermanus for the legendary cliff path walk, famous for the best shore-based whale viewing and breathtaking coastal scenery. Along the well constructed paths there are educational boards displaying the vast biodiversity of the area. Exploring the old harbour towns interesting sights we visit the Harbour, War Memorial, Whale museum and African market. We continue along the coastal path to the Blue flag Grotto Beach. The organized part of the day is over so you have free time to enjoy lunch at Dutchies and then spend some time enjoying the beach and the magical milkwood forest.
(Leisurely 10- 12km)
Spend the better part of the day in Fernkloof Nature Reserve on the Overberg 4 night ramble, a gem in the Cape Floral Kingdom. We climb to Galpin Peak and Sculpture Corner with stunning views of Hermanus and the Hemel en Aarde wine valley enjoying a lunch picnic with these amazing views. Exceptional floral biodiversity and magnificent scenery make for an unforgettable experience. The gardens at Fernkloof are well worth visiting with good bird & tortoise sightings.
(Distance 8-15km) Depending on fitness
The Hemel en Aarde valley is a dynamic environment with working – horse, berry, olive farms and vineyards – things often change due to planting or harvesting and foaling on the horse farms so our routes may change occasionally, but generally the routes are constant.
Breakfast before heading to Ataraxia winery to explore the “Heaven & Earth Valley”, nestling between 2 fynbos laden mountain ranges. This interesting and varied route winds along country roads and single tracks through vineyards orchards, and olive farms. We brew coffee & have a light snack before the trail leads us to the tasting room of Ataraxia for a wine tasting and then a short walk to Spookfontein Estate for a wine tasting. (13 km)
The Overberg ramble
12 km walk along the pristine blue flag Grotto Beach to a sandstone rock outcrop. Interesting Marine life and shipwreck history make this a most enjoyable walk. 4-5 hr walks. At the end of the beach walk we enjoy a celebratory farewell drink at Dutchies.
Please contact us for a quote
Because of the Covid-19 Pandemic, unfortunately the world we live in has changed forever. Please note that all the prices quoted are subject to change because of local and global conditions.
Obviously we will try our best to stick to the the prices as quoted throughout this vast website. Any changes will be communicated at the time of booking, and your booking confirmation price will remain fixed.
- The days are interchangeable
- We are flexible and can tailor the distances of most of the walks to suit your fitness level.
- The accommodation is usually on one farm. The advantage of course is that one only needs to unpack once. But depending on the season and availability 2 venues may be required.
- Accommodation is also available in Hermanus town should a longer stay interest you.
- Transfer to & from the airport can be arranged, as well as any other unlisted excursions.
Quote includes the following:
- 4 nights 4 -star Farm stay accommodation
- Conservation & entry fees to reserves
- Traditional braai (barbeque) with wine on DAY 1.
- 3 Breakfasts, picnics, snacks & lunches as listed
- Bottled Water for hikes
- Tea & coffee & snacks on route except on DAY 2
- Lunch on DAY 3 ,4 & 5
- Cellar platters
- Wine tastings
- Professionally Guided (FGASA Field & Marine Guides, Cape Tourism & Wine Guide)
- First Aid & back-up assistance
- Wine purchases
- Day 2 meals and refreshments
- Dinners other than braai
- Unscheduled taxi transfers