Overberg 5 night Ramble
Get orientated with a birds-eye of the Overberg from a hilltop before we take a walk through the aromatic fynbos into the “Heaven & Earth’ wine lands. Through Hamilton Russell Estate and on to Bouchard Finlayson for a tasting of their award winning Pinot Noir, enjoyed with a cheese platter. (Distance (easy) 5km)
Check in to your accommodation, a cottage on a beautiful farm in the Hemel & Aarde Valley. Well positioned for exploring the Overberg and enjoying all the activities Hermanus has to offer.
Checking time: 14:00
Enjoy a relaxed evening with a traditional braai experience, paired with some award winning local wines and star gazing if weather permits.
After breakfast we head off to Hermanus for the legendary cliff path walk, famous for the best shore-based whale viewing and breathtaking coastal scenery. Along the well constructed paths there are educational boards displaying the vast biodiversity of the area. Exploring the old harbour towns interesting sights we visit the Harbour, War Memorial, Whale museum and African market. We continue along the coastal path to the Blue flag Grotto Beach. Lunch at Dutchies and then spend some time enjoying the beach and the magical milkwood forest.
(Distance easy 10 to 12 Km)
Spend the better part of the day in Fernkloof Nature Reserve, a gem in the Cape Floral Kingdom. We climb to Galpin Peak and Sculpture Corner with stunning views of Hermanus and the Wine Valley enjoying a lunch picnic with these amazing views. Exceptional floral biodiversity and magnificent scenery make for an unforgettable experience. The gardens at Fernkloof are well worth visiting with good bird & tortoise sightings.
(Distance 8-18km) Depending on fitness
Breakfast before heading to Sumaridge Estate to explore the “Heaven & Earth Valley”, nestling between 2 fynbos laden mountain ranges. This interesting and varied route winds along country roads and single tracks through vineyards and orchards, horse stud and fruit farms. We brew coffee in a forest before the trail leads us to the renowned Moggs Country Restaurant for lunch. (8-10km)
Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve
An unforgettable walk through a relic Afromontane forest and rare fynbos flower vistas. A spectacular view of Betty’s Bay and the coastline from the top of the Leopards Gorge waterfall. Trail descends to Harold Porter Botanical Gardens for a beautiful tree-lined hike to the waterfall itself. A visit to the Stoney point Penguin Colony at the old whaling station adds another highlight to the day. (8-10km climbs)
12 km walk along the pristine blue flag Grotto Beach to a sandstone rock outcrop for a picnic lunch. Interesting marine life and shipwreck history make this a most enjoyable walk. 4-5 hr walk.
Please contact us for a quote
Because of the Covid-19 Pandemic, unfortunately the world we live in has changed forever. Please note that all the prices quoted are subject to change because of local and global conditions.
Obviously we will try our best to stick to the the prices as quoted throughout this vast website. Any changes will be communicated at the time of booking, and your booking confirmation price will remain fixed.
- The days are interchangeable, but not once a booking has been confirmed.
- We are flexible and can tailor the distances of most of the walks to suit your fitness level.
- At present the accommodation is on one farm. The advantage of course is that one only needs to unpack once.
- Accommodation is also available in Hermanus town should a longer stay interest you.
- Transfer to & from the airport can be arranged, as well as any other unlisted excursions.
Quote includes the following:
- 5 nights 4 -star Farm stay accommodation
- Conservation & entry fees to reserves
- Traditional braai (barbecue) with wine on DAY 1 and all dinners.
- 4 Breakfasts, picnics, snacks & lunches as listed
- Bottled Water for hikes
- Tea & coffee & snacks on route except on DAY 2 when we visit Hermanus town
- Lunch on DAY 3 ,4 & 5
- Cellar platters
- Wine tastings
- Professionally Guided (FGASA Field & Marine Guides, Cape Tourism & Wine Guide)
- First Aid & back-up assistance
- Wine purchases
- Day 2 lunch and refreshments
- Unscheduled taxi transfers