Whale Trail Bookings.
The Whale Trail Bookings. This Hike in the De Hoop Nature Reserve, is a 6 day 5 night coastal wilderness hiking trail in one of the planets most beautiful & ecologically diverse floral kingdoms. And its the only floral kingdom contained in one country and located in Western Cape, South Africa.
Because the Whale Trail Hike is so popular and difficult to book for, bookings must be made 1 year in advance. So if you want to do the trail this September 2019, unfortunately it will be full because the bookings were actually made last September 2018. Therefore we can try to make a booking on your behalf. So if you give us two or three preferred dates we will do our best to secure a booking for you.
It's a Steal
Due to its immense popularity, a booking on the De Hoop Whale Trail is very difficult to secure. Bookings are made 1 year in advance through Cape Nature. The trail is professionally guided by FGASA qualified marine, field and Cape tourism guides with the experience of over 15 Whale Trails. Our Whale Trail Price is R 10 500.00 which includes 3 meals, 1 X cold beverage at the end of each day and one glass of wine. At R1750 per person per day - including accommodation, fully catered and guided, its a steal.
This is where your adventure begins. We all meet at Potberg Hut in the De Hoop Nature Reserve at 14h 00 on the booked date. Your transfer to De Hoop can be arranged for you if required.
After checking in, you will have some time to orientate yourself and soak up the setting of the Potberg Hut. Sitting under the Southern Cross, and enjoy the night sky you will treated to a traditional SA braai (barbecue) paired with regional wines. Thereafter a thorough briefing of the hike and what can be expected on the trail will be given by your guide.
The Whale Trail Booking
Potberg to Cupidoskraal 15 km
On the first day of Whale Trail we rise early for a hearty breakfast, because fueling for our Potberg ascent is important. The climb to the highest point of the trail is fragranced with fynbos of the Erica and Protea species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Keep your eyes peeled for the gliding Cape Vultures that are often seen soaring effortlessly in the Potberg thermals. At the top, from the view point we take time out to marvel at the view of the Brede River over some well deserved refreshments.
HIKE DAY 2
Cupidoskraal to Noetsie 15 km
Day 2 of the Whale Trail Hike. The trail follows the crest of the Potberg mountain through mountain fynbos with unequaled views of the Indian Ocean and the Breede River. Then the route finally exits Potberg and leads onto limestone hills with strikingly different fynbos. Thereafter it descends to the enchanting bay of Noetsie as we arrive at the coast. The amazing Noetsie hut, this is our first coastal night stop on the remaining 3 nights of the hike.
The third DAY
Noetsie to Hamerkop 7.8 km
Day 3 of the Whale Hike starts at Noetsie huts, which are 100 meters from the sea. Therefore we are likely to experience the breathtaking viewing of whales & dolphins from the cliffs as the trails follows the coastline all the way to Koppie Aleen. Ancient shell middens and caves, make this stretch of coastline an adventurers’ paradise. Calcrete formations look like a sculpture park on the white beach. We lunch at Stilgat and take time out to cool off in the rock pools & explore the caves. The views from the cliffs are breathtakingly beautiful.
Whale Trail Bookings
HIKE DAY 4
Hamerkop to Vaalkrans 10.5 km
Day four of the Whale Trail Booking. Most of the day is spent walking on the white beach sand. Spot the shy Oyster-catchers and white-breasted cormorants as they bask in the sun and observe the remarkable inter tidal pools, calcrete formations and blow holes. On this section there are plenty of swimming opportunities, therefore you need to have a swimming costume at hand. The last stretch to Vaalkrans ambles through diverse coastal vegetation before we reach our accommodation situated on top a cave.
DAY 5 the final day
Vaalkrans to Koppie Alleen 7 km
Our final day of the Whale Trail Hike. The short hike on the final day of the trail, through coastal thickets with ample time to admire the scenery and swim in Hippo Pools. In whale season anything up to 50 whales can be seen in this vicinity. Great place to swim and snorkel. From Koppie Alleen we are taken by shuttle back to Potberg where we collect our baggage and say goodbye to the jewel of Cape Nature’s Floral Kingdom– The De Hoop Nature Reserve.
General information regarding the trail
- De Hoop Nature Reserve is 230 km from Cape Town International airport.(Transfer to & from Potberg for your own cost, can be arranged) Please ensure that your flight arrives in the morning and get to Potberg at around 14h00.
- The route stretches over 58km from Potberg to Koppie Alleen and includes 5 overnight stops.
- Trail limit is 12 people per trip (10 guests) and is termed “slack-packing”, a term used when one has the convenience of a portage facility. Hikers need only to carry a small day-pack with water, camera, rain jacket, sun screen etc.
- The trail is exclusive in that you will not meet other hikers on the trail.
- The trail will be fully catered for and special dietary requirements met as far as possible.
- Requirements: sleeping bag, day pack, hiking boots & clothing.
(Hiring of equipment can be arranged)
- Accommodation on the trail is in a series of cottages with mostly 3 bedrooms with 4 bunk beds each.
- A 60 liter container is issued to each person for personal belongings and this is transported to the next overnight stop.
- That all hikers have adequate medical cover to facilitate any potential medical emergency, and relevant evacuation that may arise or be required while on a Whale Trail guided and provided for by Africansunroad. This assumption also applies to individual family members of family groups.
Includes the following:
- Professionally Guided (FGASA Field Guides and Marine, Cape Tour & Wine Guide)
- First Aid & back-up assistance
- Any medical costs relating to a medical emergency, and relevant evacuation that may arise while on a Whale Trail.
- Any additional accommodation either before or after the trail, or as advertised by Africansunroad.
- Accommodation and meals should a hikers leave, or be removed from the trail for any reason including medical.
- Drinks at restaurants.
- Unscheduled taxi transfers and other transportation to or from the De Hoop Reserve.
- Loss or damage to Africansunroad vehicles parked at Potberg, before, during or after the hike.
- Cost of removal or evacuation of persons on the Whale Trail Hike guided by Africansunroad.
- Loss or damage to equipment used on the trail.
Acceptance of General Information, assumptions and exclusions:
- My final payment to participate in the Africansunroad Whale Trail indicates my knowledge of and acceptance of the general information, assumptions and exclusions.